This presentation aims to review the value of risk assessment in general dental practice in the context of behaviour change and care planning preventive periodontal care. The different tools available will be examined together with the evidence base. It will demonstrate that simply conveying to patients their risk and disease scores using contemporary digital technologies, can improve health outcomes.
• Understand why risk assessment is central to the practice of individualised patient-centred care
• Be aware of potential health economic and service planning benefits of embedding risk assessment in day-to-day practice
• Understand the impact of individualised biofeedback upon patient understanding and engagement in their own oral health regime
• Appreciate the value of risk assessment in informing care pathways in contemporary dental practice.
• Have insight into the medico-legal impact of risk assessment for prevention.