We are often presented with the challenge of aiming to preserve and save endodontically and/or periodontally involved teeth. Making a prognostic decision is a challenging choice and extraction is not always the answer. In this lecture, Dr Pertl shows various benefits of endodontic and periodontal treatment which saves and shows long-term success of teeth. Dr Pertl explains and identifies factors in some cases where extraction and other treatment modalities such as implants would be beneficial. Saving teeth or titanium – this lecture is very useful for the treatment planning and decision making for all practitioners. In this lecture, Dr Christof Pertl discusses the decision making of teeth with questionable prognosis (periodontally and endodontically involved) and how this is influenced by our available treatment modalities. Dr Pertl shows the long-term benefits of treatment in periodontal patients and benefits of endodontic treatment with good long-term success rate. In practice, we are always challenged with the prognostic decision making for teeth. In this lecture, Dr Pertl has shown how teeth can be saved and how long-term benefits of such cases. Dr Pertl explains and identifies factors in some cases where extraction and other treatment modalities such as implants would be beneficial. Dr Pertl discusses various factors influencing the success of implants in these patients.
Aims and Objectives
1. Understand the role of decision making in periodontal and endodontic patients
2. Understand the long-term prognosis and importance and benefits of saving teeth in periodontal patients
3. Understand the long-term success of periodontal patients following tx
4. Understand the long-term success of endodontic treatments
5. Understand the role of implant provision in the treatment planning and the factors determining implant success and failure
6. Understand the choices for tooth retention vs implant provision